Jelly Toothed Mushroom also called False Hedgehog or Cat’s Tongue is an edible mushroom. Their flavour is considered bland, so here's a recipe to candy them to enjoy their chewy texture.
In a vegan diet, sometimes it’s difficult to come by meaty textures. Mushrooms offer a beautiful earthy flavour and a satisfying meaty texture. They’re a super healthy meat replacement and always easy to get your hands on! (Depending on the type – we find jelly tooth hard to find. Whenever we see them in the wild we snatch them up!) These candied mushroom were one of our favourite ways to have them so far, especially for how simple and healthy the recipe is!
- 2 large shallots (diced)
- 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp of sriracha sauce
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp of dried parsley flakes
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add your avocado oil.
- Once your oil is hot throw in your chanterelles and shallots.
- After you start to get a little browning on your mushrooms and shallots turn down your heat slightly to medium low.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pan and lightly toss to evenly coat mushrooms.
- Cook for roughly 10 minutes. The sauce will start to condense and turn into more of a glaze with intense flavours!
- Remove from heat and serve with your favourite vegetables or on top of a fresh salad! Enjoy.